World Community Service
Rotarians serve humanity around the corner and around the globe. The Rotary Club of Boulder Valley has a proud tradition of significant contributions to Rotary World Community Service programs, including development projects and international youth and professional exchanges.
We leverage our sister city relationships including:
- Dushanbe, Tajikistan
- Jalapa, Nicaragua
- Kisumu, Kenya
- Lhasa, Tibet
- Mante, Mexico
- Yamagata, Japan
- Yateras, Cuba
We work with other clubs to maximize grant opportunities for full circle and sustainable projects.
We participate in hands-on International Service project(s) annually.
Development Project Leadership
Recently completed projects include:
- Rotary International grant support and partial funding of a water project in Panama sponsored by the Coal Creek Rotary Club
- Rotary International grant support and partial funding of bridge building projects in Nicaragua and El Salvador implemented by Bridges to Prosperity – http://www.bridgestoprosperity.org/
- Partial funding of water and sanitation improvements at the Oasis of Hope school in Kisumu, Kenya sponsored by the Boulder Rotary Club and in cooperation with the Boulder-Kisumu Sister City Committee – http://www.boulderkisumu.org/
- Sponsorship and partial funding of a shipment of medical supplies to a hospital in Kiev, Ukraine in cooperation with Project C.U.R.E. – http://www.projectcure.org/
- Monetary donation for the disaster relief effort in Japan through our sister club Yamagata North Rotary Club
Projects in Process:
- Sponsorship of a Rotary International matching grant for water and sanitation improvements in the village of Barrio Nuevo, Nicaragua
- Rotary International grant support and partial funding of a water aqueduct project in the village of Soacha, Colombia sponsored by the Boulder Rotary Club.
- Planning and support for a water project in a village near Jalapa, Nicaragua in cooperation with the Jalapa Friendship City Project – http://www.boulderjalapa.org/
- Hosted a yearlong international exchange student from France in 2009-1010.
- Sponsored a yearlong exchange student from Boulder to Omachi, Japan in 2009-2010
- We sent two high school students on a 10-day exchange to Yamagata, Japan. The Yamagata Rotary Club is our sister club.
- Hosted the GSE team from Mexico in 2007 and South Africa in 2008.
International Exchange Programs
Please contact us if you are interested in participating in or supporting the following World Community Service international exchange programs:
- Youth Exchange – funds yearlong or summer international exchanges for Boulder-area high school students. More Information go to: http://www.rye5450.org/
- Group Study Exchange – funds international exchanges of young Boulder-area professionals and businesspeople.
In 2011 they will go to Kerala, India. More Information go to http://www.rotary5450.org/gse/index.htm
- Ambassadorial Scholars – helps fund the college-based education of students here and abroad. More Information go to: https://www.rotary.org/myrotary/en/take-action/apply-grants
For More Information
Rotary District 5450 (Denver-area) – World Community Service go to: http://www.rotary5450.org/
Rotary International (global organization) – World Community Service go to: https://www.rotary.org/en#7